Seven Year Report On Ironwork Reinstatement Using EPIFLEX
Carriageway Installation; Constantius Bridge, A69 Hexham, Northumberland 2009.
During this bridgedeck refurbishment, the trunk route maintenance operator, required 16 chamber covers to be installed with a waterproof, multi-purpose, flexibilised bedding, haunching and slot-filling mortar with the benefit of a long-term, maintenance-free design life.
Epiflex was specified and used for the installation. Shims cast from Epiflex were supplied so that the installation was completed with a homogenous material, supporting the cover frame from underneath. The slot is filled up to the running surface and an anti-skid finish is provided by the application of Bauxite grit.
A69 trunk route operator, Roadlink, is delighted with the material performance and confirmed in 2015 that chamber covers and frames have remained intact, including those subjected to the heaviest traffic loading.
Covers are situated directly on the wheel-line of the east and west bound carriageways.
Material Features and Benefits
- Epiflex is designed as a cold-applied, flexibilised, solvent-free epoxy resin transition mortar.
- Suitable for ironwork reinstatement, joints and gap-filling in carriageways and mezzanine decks.
- Inbuilt flexibility, waterproof and durable; for areas subjected to high volume or heavy traffic loading.
- Absorbs and distributes dynamic stress loading evenly between substrate, asphalt and ironwork.
- Bonds readily to concrete, asphalt, composite and metal surfaces with high adhesion strengths.
- Ironwork may be set with easy-to-use pourable product; no compaction and void free.
- Resistant to chemicals, fuel, oil, road salts and unaffected by freeze/thaw cycle.
- Anti-skid surface finishing with Bauxite grit.
- Open to traffic as early as 4 - 6 hours* after installation (*when warmed).
- Avoids need for repetitive road closures due to reinstatement of collapsed ironwork and related costs.
- REDUCED FREQUENCY OF EXPOSURE TO LIVE TRAFFIC FOR ROAD CREWS
- PROVEN SUCCESS ZERO MAINTENANCE 20 YEAR+ SOLUTION
For more information please contact t: +44(0)191 416 8360 or e: firstname.lastname@example.org